Where is Davis College? | About Binghamton, New York
A large of part of college life has to do with where the college is physically located. Binghamton is a fantastic city in Southern New York, known as a leader in higher education, as well as technology.
Some facts about Binghamton:
- Population: Over 47,000 at last census
- The greater Binghamton metro area (Triple Cities) is over a quarter million.
- High-tech firms such as Lockheed-Martin, IBM, BAE Systems and Rockwell Collins have centers in the city.
- Nicknames: The Parlor City, Valley of Opportunity
- The city was settled in 1802, and incorporated in 1867.
- Residents are known as Binghamtonians.
- The city is named after William Bingham, a wealthy Philadelphian man who bought the land in 1792.
- The first clinic in the country to treat alcoholism as a disease opened in 1858 in the town.
- IBM, Valvoline and Dick’s Sporting Goods all call Binghamton their founding home.
- It has been named the 9th “greenest” city in America by Country Home Magazine.
- The average temperature in Binghamton is 55 degree, with the average low being 38.
- The Binghamton Zoo at Ross Park is the 5th oldest zoo in the nation.
- While in town you can catch the Binghamton Mets, the New York Mets AA affiliate.
- Taylor Swift’s hit single “Back to December” was filmed in Binghamton.
The city is rich in diversity and would be a welcome home to any fortunate Davis College students! Find us on Facebook and Twitter!